Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Standard of Govt Books

I went to "Chalghatta govt school 2 weekends. First weekend, some time I sat in class where my friend was taking class. And then took Hindi for 6th std.
Second week I was demoted:-) and sent to take English for 5th std.
Being sure that, that school has from std 1 and I won't be demoted to '0' I went to class 5th.Very few students in class. Asked them which chapter to start?. They said I need to teach them "Posting a letter".
I thought good one for 5th std. And started. Note in Govt school from 5th std they start learning English alphabets. So we need to spell the letters first and then spell the word. Even though I felt it difficult as that habit is gone from so many years.We started reading each and every letter and each and every word. There are few words written in book for example
I would is written "I'd" Who on earth can expect a kid who just started learning 'A B C' to understand this. And if we teach them this way how will they know the spelling of "I Would' If everyone on earth think 5th Std kid can understand "I'd" then I must be from mars :-)One more thing I was unhappy was
Situation is Raju goes to Post office and asks postmaster for a postcard. Post master answer is ."Here it is". This is still OK. But for beginners I guess it should have been "Here is the post card". That helps kid to read the same word multiple time and get familiar with that new word.
There were many such spelling which I feel difficult for 5th Std kid to understand.
But we have to teach the same way :-(

No comments: