Sunday, November 05, 2006

Back To School

Its long time I completed 7th Std. I did in a village near Sorab Taluk, Shimoga District. We had 2/3 three teachers to handle from 1st to 7th Std. My mother says, I knew 2nd std poems when I was in 1st and so on because we used to have combined classes.

Till 7th Std My mother taught me . I did learn in Kannada medium till 7th.Now I work in a software company. Thanks to my parents and relatives for whatever I am today. I know how difficult it is to educated in life studying in village when there is no support from parents. Govt schools in Bangalore is similar to schools in village at that time for many reasons. One,village people didn't give more importance to education same with the parents of govt school kids in Bangalore now. I wanted to help such kids in knowing the importance of education. I got such opportunity when I joined DSF.

From 3/4 months I am going to Govt Primary school on Saturday to teach English/maths to the govt school kids. There are few kids who are really interested to learn things, and there are few who probably don't know the importance of education.Its little difficult to make these kids learn things though not impossible.

As usual I went this Saturday to School at 9.15am. We are 5 to 6 volunteers who go regularly. This Saturday they got late and I was waiting for them. I Was listening to music sitting outside. School Headmaster didn't like me sitting outside he asked me to sit in office room. I went and sat there and couldn't listen to music, so switched off radio. I didn't had any other work than listening to the headmaster and teacher discussion in office room.

Head Master had work in Banks and so he had to go to Bank, he was expecting few visitors too, but didn't knew what time visitor will be coming. He told the teacher, he will go to bank and if someone comes asking for him, give a missed call and he will come back :-)
I was surprised, its not that I didn't know he had a mobile nor that I am not aware of missed calls. But how technology has helped us. We probably can't imagine a day without a mobile now. But didn't we leave without all that few years back?
When I heard that discussion , I remembered a incident which my mother told me.
When I was in nursery my father used to drop me and come back to hospital. My father is a doctor and he was posted in a village that time. One day when my father was away to drop me to nursery his boss came to hospital. Hospital and our house was in single compound. He asked my mother where is my father and when he will be back. She told him my father went to drop me to school and he will be back in few minutes. Boss asked will he come back, my mother replied he will drop daughter and come back and he will not be sitting in nursery. If we had mobile at that time Boss would have called/given a missed call to my father :-). We didn't had even a phone in that village at that time.

Even though I go to school now on Saturdays so many things are changed. Back to school yes but not back to good olden days.

No comments: